m

Unlocking A Secret Hideout - Probably One of Singapore's Best-Kept Secrets


Singapore is becoming more crowded to go. I particularly like to chill out at coffee places and cafes, and during weekends it is so hard to have quality time with my love ones. 

Thanks to my friend Phil, I discovered a great new place to chill (in fact 3 weeks ago but only made a recent visit) since the folks here do not have a regular business hours.

There simply isn't much other quiet places to visit in Singapore, and I am so glad the owners of this place are pretty inconspicuous about their location and business hours. 

Keeping things hush-hush is the way to go, but due to technology, the wide use of social media and avid cafe goers, I foresee that this mystery will not remain a secret for long. 

At first, I was pretty reluctant to post the photo on my Instagram, as I did not want too many people to know about this place. 

But then I realise there were already many people that discovered this hidden sanctuary before me. 

It’s really no surprise that how people can find their ways around this little mysteries.

During my visit there were a few groups of customers, and on the same day I also noticed the team from 8 Days Eat Out visiting the place. 

Hence, I decided to write this article because I believe in enjoying the taste of eating right, one have to share the love for food to others. 

The way to tell if the folks are open; #1 Put one eye at the peephole. #2 Knock on the door if you can.
What an impressive collection of BearBrick toys. I am not a fan collector of these plastic toys, but I can tell that many were limited collectible toys. 
“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” ~ Randy Pausch. 
 Order your coffee and snacks and then grab a seat on the vintage theatre seats.
Bright yellow SMEG refrigerator to keep the food and drink perfectly fresh. It delivers a class of Italian style and retro feel into this space. 
Almost no other animal enjoys such popularity as the elephant admired for its majestic size and loved as the gentle giant. The Eames Elephant Chair looks really great with my coffee on it, and it will be fun and playful for the little children.
There are some other bright coloured designer table and chairs at the corner of the space, where you can enjoy a good read or purchase some cookbooks or magazines (eg. Kinfolk) off the shelf. 
Cute whale plates by SUPERMAMA
Homemade Cookies
Homemade carrot cake
Don't understand why would someone say that the cakes were mediocre. Well, at least it’s one of the best carrot cakes I had in my opinion. 

It gave me a perfectly spiced, moist taste made with a heaping mount of freshly-grated carrots and lots of homemade cream cheese frosting. It was not too sweet nor too heavy on my palate.
Pineapple turnover cake
I think this cheery, sunny, happy cake would make a perfect dessert for any occasions. The cake was supremely moist, springy, and fluffy while the inverted pineapple was soft, sweet, with almost imperceptible tang and adds chewiness and texture to the cake.
There is no menu price for coffee here, tipping has a place here. 

It seems like the practice of coffee tipping is increasing in Singapore. How much do you tip depends on how comfortable you are.

Honesty, respect and trust are the three basic foundations. If there is a need, benchmark your coffee experience against the prices of coffee you get at other cafes, pay as least equivalent or more in acknowledgement of the benefit that you have received from the service person.

For now I will keep a low profile for this space. I hope that this beautiful space will not lose its charm when more people know about it.

Many will seek but not all shall find as quoted by whale & cloud.
Secret Location 48 ¾

1 comment: